Friday, January 30, 2009

For Credit: Writing Process

The prompt and reading for the assignment due Monday can be found in this post below and in the sidebar.

Feel free to reflect (vent?) here on the process of making sense of this poem and writing about it in the ways specified. What are you finding particularly difficult or baffling about the poem?

Deadline: Monday (2/2), start of class.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually enjoyed this poem. I was a little confused when she was describing the god Fame. I wondered if she was describing Fame in a decaying matter because its a fleeting, fickle thing? I wasn't quite sure what to make of that description. But I did enjoy the differing responses from her friends and the almost self-depracating tone of the poem. How the author herself desires recognition and praise from her peers even as she looks down on others for being slaves to Fame.

aperri2 said...

I enjoyed this poem as well. Addressing the ups and downs of composition in a unique manner that includes both elevated language and colloquial phrases, the work appeals to me as a writer and especially as an English major. I love the fact that late 18thC poetry is straightforward, and this work emphasizes that trend. It is a beautiful read, that encapsulates images of friends and self paradigms when it comes to writing. The self reflexive nature of the work furthers the interesting tone that Lhender3 touches on.

Nobody said...

There's a quote by Cormac McCarthy talking about how books are made out of books. Literature references play a big role in this poem. However, I get frustrated because I don't fully understand those references in depth, and some of the annotations are faded off the page.

Currently, I'm trying to tackle the phrase "slaves of fame," and trying to figure out exactly what that means in the first part of the poem. I find myself drawing from the experiences of famous athletes. Some basketball players, for example, are amazing in college but become distracted by their fame, which affects the way they perform in the NBA. I think that kind of anxiety plays a big part in this poem.

Eric Neiweem said...

My experience was that this poem chronicled a common event for people who produce writing but are unsure about its reception. I found myself relating to Leapord's comments about criticism and authority. I was surprised that she used such glib remarks to make fun of her peers, especially combined with the classical language of elevation.