I was going to do this at the end of class today, but ran out of time--so let's try it here, as a reality check for me and a opportunity for you to draw together the various threads we've been spinning:
Respond to this post by identifying the most significant or memorable insight or factoid you've gleaned from 427 this week.
Deadline: Monday (2/16), 10am.
Friday, February 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I was really intrigued by the moral debate that occured between Samuel Johnson, Henry Fielding and to a lesser degree Frances Brooke. I agree somewhat with Fielding, that it would seem conflicting to have a novelist build a moral message into a work. But then also have such overt sex and villanous characters that it seems to contradict the book's message. I would be interested to see what Samuel Johnson thought of Frances Brooke's message if he agrees that women do bring a unique perspective to moralist writings or if he believes that it is strictly a man's arena.
Frances Brooke's preface was the most interesting aspect of class for me because I am interested in the women's role in 18th century literature and life. After studying Samuel Johnson's opinions, I found Brooke's to be interested, reflective of the time, and a slightly bit more refreshing from Johnson. Both of their opinions on the novel explains the subject matter of much of what we have read from the 18th century. The emphasis on morality, and the search for a specific formula is recognizable in many of the texts (for example, Thomas Gray).
Post a Comment